Healthy Apple Pie
This is the best healthy apple pie to celebrate the baking season guilt-free. It combines flaky crust, made with whole wheat flour, sweet apple filling with no refined sugar, and a cosy walnut crumble topping that ties together all the rich fall flavours.
Servings: 8 slices
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, chilled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 5 medium apples, sliced ⅛” thick, cut in half (yield ~ 5 cups or 625g)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons plant-based milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt. Cut in the coconut oil using a pastry cutter, the back of a fork, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly start adding ice water. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and, using floured hands, fold the dough into itself until the flour is fully incorporated into the fat. Form it into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- While the dough chills, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, toss together the sliced apples, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond milk, vanilla and agave syrup.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly coat a regular 9” pie plate (not deep dish) with cooking spray.
- Take the chilled dough out of the fridge, and open the plastic wrap. Roll the dough while still on the plastic until it’s 1” to 2” wider than the top of the pie plate.
- Gently invert the pie dough into the prepared pie plate and peel off the plastic wrap from the bottom, and gently press the pie dough into place. Trim the overhang.
Walnut Crumble Topping
- In a medium bowl, stir together walnuts, flour, cinnamon, maple syrup and coconut oil. The topping should be thick and crumbly. Sprinkle it over the apples.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Then reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) without opening the oven door, and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes. Let the pie cool completely to room temperature before slicing and serving.